Mandatory Contestant Information
- Bareback Bronc Riding and Ranch Saddle Bronc will NOT be offered at this year's Zia Rodeo
- There is no added Money for this year's Zia Rodeo
- Veterinarian : Heide Hamlen, DVM 505-629-7701. Vet will be onsite for the rodeo
- Farrier: will be on site and call as needed: Alex Gavernik 505-202-2427
- Additional stall for extra horses: $25 for the weekend
- Tack Tack Stalls: $25 for the weekend
- No variances were requested
- Current IGRA rules apply
- $25.00 LATE FEES FOR ADDING THE ROUGH STOCK RIDING EVENTS WILL BE CHARGED AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE
- Payouts per IGRA rules and guidelines
- See hotel information for HOST Hotel.
- Registration will be at the Rodeo Grounds from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Shavings will be available for sale at the rodeo grounds
New Contestant Information
It is the contestant's responsibility to read and know the current IGRA rules. Make sure you are familiar with both the general rules and the specific rules for each event you are competing in. These rules are strictly adhered to during all IGRA sanctioned rodeos. Failure to follow the rules may lead to disqualification or/or fines for the contestant.
If you've never competed in gay rodeo before but have always wanted to, here's how to get started:
- If you plan on bringing a horse for competition please see the RV, Horse, Stall Information page.
- All contestants must belong to an IGRA member association. You can join NMGRA to qualify.
- New contestants can register for their events at Friday night's registration. All contestants must be registered by close of registration at 9:00 p.m. to compete in the Rodeo. New contestants are not required to fill out the registration form until Friday night at registration.
- You will receive a copy of the IGRA Rodeo Rulebook at registration. You can also download it from the IGRA website - IGRA Rodeo Rulebook. It is your responsibility to be familiar with the requirements listed in the IGRA Rodeo Rulebook.
- Each IGRA event is $30.00 per event per day. All entry fees paid during registration must be paid in cash, certified check, money order, or credit card.
- Events are divided into four categories - visit the event descriptions page for full descriptions.
All contestants are required to wear the following when competing:
- Must wear a long sleeve shirt for all events
- Must wear long pants for all events
- Must wear a western hat for all events
- Must wear boots that minimally cover the ankle and have a heel
- Note: This dress code does not apply to any camp events, but you must wear closed toed shoes
- Contestants must wear contestant number on their back when competing
If this is your first time competing in ROUGH STOCK events, please note the following:
- It is the rider's responsibility to secure the following prior to the Saturday or Sunday Rodeo Events.
- All necessary equipment (Rigging, Spurs, Bell, Bell Loop, Vest, Helmet, Mouthpiece, Glove, rosin, and if sharing a rigging - fill out the shared rigging form at registration).
- Rider must secure commitments from "seasoned" Assistants to act as your Safety, and your Rigging Puller / Setter. (These are not provided for you)
- The Rider must know how to rig their own animal, and set the rigging to their specifications for a safe ride. Rider should not expect, or rely on others to do this.
- Check in with your line up assistant behind the chutes well in advance, so you can rig your animal as soon as you can.
- Be prepared to ride! The Chute Crew may skip a rider due to an unforeseen issue, and may be coming to you at a moment's notice. You should have all your equipment on, and be ready!
- Know the basics on how to enter the Chute, how to treat the animals with respect, and to avoid any chance of injury.
- It takes more than one person to ride a bull or bronc. Show some appreciation to those that help you, as taking anyone for granted, will leave you with little assistance down the road. (Thank your stock contractor, chute crew, judges, gate pullers, rodeo clown, pick up men, and your puller / safety)
- Download the IGRA Contestant Registration Form